Thursday, May 14, 2009

Ponderings

Hi ladies,

I hope your prayer day was wonderful. I just thought I'd throw some thoughts out there and see if anyone catches. Recently I had the opportunity to be totally honest with my daughter about my past "secrets". Boy was it hard! I always thought I would keep my secrets in my own little closet and not give her a reason to give herself permission to partake as her mother did.

But I also made the promise to myself that I would not lie to her if she ever asked "those" questions. And she did. Darn it!

She took it beautifully and it opened so many doors between us to bond in ways I didn't expect. Since then, instead of treating me in a judgemental way or looking down at me, I saw a renewed respect and she seems more willing to share her heart.

Did I expect this? No.

How many times do we just lecture, finger-point, or assume what they need to hear, rather than share where or how we were vulnerable as kids? Show them that we really DO know what they feel, see, hear, and are tempted with.

Just a thought tossed into cyberspace. Any takers?

Dana

No comments: